[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Font Awesome is a font and icon toolkit based on CSS and Less. You can choose the icon you like from a library of thousands of icons. It helps to load such icons faster as these are not images, and also loads your website quickly.
Here are some simple steps for you to install the Font Awesome Library easily in a WordPress website.
1. Visit https://fontawesome.com/start
2. Enter your email to create your first kit! (kit meaning the Font Awesome downloadable or linked files).
3. Once you get the confirm via email message, go to your email (inbox) and click the link from Font Awesome to activate your account.
4. Once you confirm the link you will get a line of code to use (there will be a copy button next to it).
5. Copy the code and now login to your WordPress website if you are not logged in.
6. You will need to add the code to the header of your website, so we will use a plugin called SOGO Add Script Header Footer. Because this makes it easier.
7. Install and activate this plugin via the Plugins section in your WordPress panel.
8. Paste the text you copied earlier (from Font Awesome website).
9. You will need to download the font awesome library to upload to your server. So lets first download it from here – https://fontawesome.com/download
You will have a choice of Web and Desktop. Since we are working with WordPress we will go with “Web” and you can select “Free for Web” to begin. You can upgrade anytime.
10. You will need to upload the fonts (various files) you downloaded earlier to your theme. I had to upload mine in the assets folder of my theme. Example path to upload: public_html/wp-content/themes/theme-name/assets.
11. To view and use different icons visit – https://fontawesome.com/icons.
Please note that there are free and paid versions of icons, which can be selected to view.
12. To use an icon, simply click on it, which will take you to the next page. On the icon page you will see the details about using the font. You can simply click the big button “Start Using this Icon”. This will give you the code you need to copy and paste in your website to use the icon.
Earlier versions of Font Awesome had only a single file for the Font Library, which was uploaded to the server. As of now the library files to upload on your server, are of 3 different types, solid, regular and brands. Each has 5 different extensions. Example the fa-regular to upload are having the following extensions.
Version 5 is the latest version as of date and Font Awesome 6 will be coming soon. The “PRO for Web” download option does provide premium services which includes more icons, tools and support. The Pro feature has more than 6000 additional icons. So that’s a lot!
Font Awesome supports the most icons from an icon library. The icons can easily be adjusted to our settings through CSS and gives us an enormous amount of font options to select from. Most themes already use the Font Awesome files so you may not need to install it separately. It also helps to load your icons faster, thereby contributing to a quick loading website.
If you are interested to know how to add custom or premium fonts in WordPress, then click here.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]